The New England Journal of My Ass

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

An Open Letter to the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences

Academy Members:

It has been brought to my attention that Michael J. Fox, an actor afflicted with Parkinson's Disease, is on TV ads for stem-cell research portraying a man with Parkinson's Disease.

Rush Limbaugh has brought this to our attention, and he is never wrong.

I have seen Fox's stunning performance in the commercial for Missouri Senate Candidate Claire McCaskill. His acting, as always, is superlative. In the 1980's, I was convinced Michael J. Fox was actually a Young Republican, or a werewolf, or a high school timetraveler, and I now believe he actually has severe Parkinson's. If I didn't know any better, I would think he actually really had this disease and he really had it in a bad way. Michael J. Fox's acting was, and is, just that good.

What spirit! What dedication to his craft! One can imagine Fox just immersing himself in this role until all his uncontrollable twitchings ring accurate to the audience! I bet the director Michael Moore and the producer George Soros didn't even have to coach him all that much! He probably did the whole thing in one take, so wrapped up in this role he must have been!

My request is simple. If Michael J. Fox is indeed just acting in these commercials, or, as they say in the business of show, hammin' up the Parkinson's for cynical political gain, he should be nominated for some kind of award.

You may just have to invent a new award. How about "Best Portrayal of a Man Afflicted with Parkinson's Disease?" I think Michael J. Fox would stand a good shot at winning this award. Please give serious consideration to his nomination. Because, in my 34 years of life, I have never seen acting that believable. No, not even on "Melrose Place."

I thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my suggestion.

Yours in Must-Seeing,
Rollie St. Bacon

PS You know that show "According to Jim?" It might actually be kinda funny if Bill Murray played Jim instead of Jim Belushi. Think it over.